? ??????????????Dream Forever? ????? ?????? ???Rating: 5.0 (2 Ratings)??171 Grabs Today. 387 Total Grabs.
??????Get the Code?? ?? ?????Look to The Stars? ????? ?????? ???Rating: 5.0 (5 Ratings)??165 Grabs Today. 3286 Total Grabs. ??????Get the Code?? ?? ???????Live, Love, Laugh? ????? ?????? ???Ratin CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS ?

Monday, April 21, 2008

To-Do List #68 - Support a Candidate I believe in - Part Two

Volunteering for Barack Obama's campaign was a really amazing experience. I registered voters around North Hills Mall. The whole experience was amazing, but there was definitely one defining moment. A woman who I stopped to ask if she was registered to vote, she informed me that she used to work on Bill Clinton's staff. She liked the Clinton presidency but was not sure if she was going to vote for Hillary. I talked to her for a while on why she was questioning her vote and what Obama felt about many of her areas of concerns. She left, still undecided. Later, she came back with tears in her eyes saying that she came to a decision about her vote. She said she remembered how she was doing just what I am doing in the 60's and how she had forgotten what it was like to really believe in a candidate. She was going to vote for Obama. I was so proud at that moment.

I have since had two amazing opportunities come up surrounding this candidate. Miichelle Obama came to Raleigh, NC speaking on behalf of her husband about 2 weeks ago and I had the honor of being there. This was the largest crowd she had spoken to with over 6,000 Obama supporters cheering her on. I was so impressed with her! I really feel she is as an incredible speaker as her husband! She touched on all the major issues, but the thing she said that took my attention the most was this. "Our nation has a financial deficit of a trillion dollars, yet we are still the richest nation in the world. But our real problem is that our nation has a deficit of empathy. We have been guided in fear and no longer have the time or the capabilities to help our neighbor". How true.

Last week Senator Obama himself came to Raleigh. Tickets were available the day before and I had to wait in line for an hour to obtain mine. The doors opened at 11:30 AM the next day. I arrived at 9AM and there was already 200 people in front of me! It was well worth the wait, I was in the fifth row for his Town Hall in Raleigh. It was such an incredible honor to see Barack Obama in such a small and intimate setting of only about 800 people. The town hall is set up in a way where people have the opportunities to ask questions to the senator. One person stuck out in my mind above all others. A little boy, as cute as can be, was selected to ask a question. "Mr. Obama, I am in 4th grade and I was elected class Representative and I want to know how I can be president one day". After everyone gave the little boy a standing ovation, Obama went on to answer, joking at first "You know, I should be asking you the same question, you've already won your election! But seriously, the best thing to do is work really hard in school - try your hardest in your classes, pay attention and make good grades. And the most important thing of all is when you see someone in your class being bullied, stop and help the person. And when you are in the lunch room and you see someone doesn't have very much to eat, give them a piece of your sandwich. Then I am sure you will grow up to be a fine young man worthy of being a president". This is the reason I am voting for him. Such hope. Afterwards, I got the opportunity to shake the Senators hand. It was such a privilege to see him speak. I will always remember.

1 comments:

billpeckham.com said...

Thanks for your work - I'm on the edge of my seat about tomorrow.